The Minister for Public Expenditure and Reform has confirmed to Fianna Fáil Deputy Niamh Smyth that five closed Garda Stations in the Cavan-Monaghan Garda Division are awaiting the outcome of the Policing Authority Review.
“Minister Paschal Donohoe has informed me that Redhills Garda Station in Cavan, Clontibret, Newbliss, Corrinshigago and Smithborough Garda Stations are awaiting the outcome of the Policing Authority Review. These rural Garda Stations closed in 2012 and 2013,” Deputy Smyth said.
“I have been informed by the Minister that Stradone Garda Station is currently being prepared for disposal or sale. I have sought further clarity on this matter as I was previously told by the former Minister for Justice Frances Fitzgerald that refurbishment works would take place here to enhance Garda facilities.. Bawnboy is one of the Garda Stations were closed in 2013 which in 2017 was announced as one of six to be re-opened following a review.”
“I took it upon myself to question the Minister in relation to this as I feel it would be premature of the Government to dispose of any former Garda Station buildings until such a time as we know the implications of Brexit. Also, presently the Policing Authority of Ireland are conducting a consultation as such with people on the ground to restore confidence in policing. One such event recently took place in Carrickmacross. I have no doubt that the re-opening of rural Garda Stations will form part of the recommendations from people so it is imperative that they remain in state ownership until such a time when all reviews are complete.”
Note to Editors: Parliamentary Question attached on this issue.
Please find my Parliamentary Question below on this issue:
For Written Answer on : 16/01/2018
Question Number(s): *252 Question Reference(s): 1943/18 Written
Department: Public Expenditure and Reform
* To ask the Minister for Public Expenditure and Reform the number of Garda stations closed in the past 20 years in counties Cavan and Monaghan which are still in State ownership; and if he will make a statement on the matter.
– Niamh Smyth TD
I have been advised by the Commissioners of Public Works that the following Garda Stations closed in the past twenty years in counties Cavan and Monaghan and are still in State ownership:
· Bawnboy – Former Garda Station – Closed 2013 – 1 of the 6 Garda stations announced to be reopened
· Redmills – Former Garda Station – Closed 2013 – Awaiting outcome of Policing Authority review
· Stradone – Former Garda Station – Closed 2002 – Currently being prepared for disposal
· Clontibret – Former Garda Station – Closed 2012 – Awaiting outcome of Policing Authority review
· Corrinshigagh – Former Garda Station – Closed 2013 – Awaiting outcome of Policing Authority review
· Newbliss – Former Garda Station – Closed 2013 –Awaiting outcome of Policing Authority review
· Smithborough Former Garda Station – Closed 2012 – Awaiting outcome of Policing Authority review